Thursday, January 14, 2010

Let Freedom Ting

You hear all the time that "freedom isn't free". I'm not looking for anyone to explain what is meant by these words. I think I understand that what they mean to say, but don't have the time nor inclination to elucidate, is that our lifestyle that we (don't really) enjoy is supported by our military's ability to forestall anyone else coming to insert themselves in our place. My experience of being able to walk to work and sit in a chair and in front of a glowing screen and walk back to my warm, safe home full of food and many, many wonderful amenities and set my wide ass down on a cushy couch and safely watch tragedies unfold (in living color) to other people in other places goes on without bombs and gunfire and militias disappearing my neighbors in the middle of the night. For this I am sometimes grateful, if I am not currently caught up in my own dramas.
But back to the mantra, "freedom isn't free" (nearly always introduced by the word "because")...how is it that we accept this phrase and assign it such pendulous weight and gravity, so much so that to even argue anything about it, as I am attempting to do here, brands me as some sort of anti-American? I just want to put down here that this is an idiot's phrase, vapid and meaningless. If freedom is not free, then it cannot be freedom. How much did anyone pay to exist again? Right. We are thrust into life from what we cannot know. (Perhaps we pay on the other side of life, but actual intel on this subject is suspiciously lacking.)
Freedom is free. Our right to unsustainable use resources that most of the rest of the world wants isn't free and requires the blood of our brothers and sisters to sustain.
May the god of your insecurities hold and coddle you, may he make up a face for you and encourage you to worship it, and may he make up solid reasons for you to use to continue not to evolve and realize that you are your own god and more, for that thought is troubling to you.

No comments: